Bishop’s Lenten Appeal (BLA)
Here are just some of the ways your donation to the Bishop’s Lenten Appeal are at work in our diocese:
- Supports the 48 men currently studying for the priesthood, who, God willing, will one day serve in our parishes.
- Supports our 50 Catholic schools and over 17,000 students.
- Catholic Charities resettled over 1,200 migrants and refugees and provided rent or utility assistance to over 2,100 neighbors.
- The St. Lucy Food Project fulfilled more than 49,000 requests for assistance, distributing over 1.7 million pounds of food last year.
- Gabriel Project provided prenatal care and support for 383 mothers in need.
- Over 1,500 people across the diocese attended the Diocesan Family Festival to enjoy music, food and attend outdoor Mass with Bishop Burbidge.
- Provides support and resources for the Spanish Apostolate, Multicultural Ministries, and Communications office of the diocese.
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
As we are now into the second year of preparation leading to the celebration of our diocesan 50-year Jubilee, we are filled with joyful anticipation! So, too, was the Blessed Virgin Mary when the Angel Gabriel appeared to her bringing the news that she was to be the mother of Jesus. She humbly acknowledged the great things that God had done for her and expressed deep joy with her whole being! Our 2023 Bishop’s Lenten Appeal (BLA) theme honors Mary’s “yes” and is shared with the theme of the diocesan Jubilee’s second preparatory year, My Soul Rejoices in the Lord.
Joy comes from God actively working in our lives. We seek to imitate the perfect example of our Blessed Mother by proclaiming the greatness of the Lord each day as we live our faith and share our blessings.
The Blessed Mother is our model of joy, trust, and service. When we support the BLA, we give the glorious gift of Christ Jesus to thousands of people in need of spiritual, charitable, and educational assistance across our diocese.
I ask you to consider prayerfully a sacrificial pledge to this year’s BLA. Your gift will be used to enrich and improve the lives of others and will be an instrument of the joy and peace that only Christ can give!
Through the intercession of Mary Our Mother, may Our Lord Jesus bless you with His peace and joy.
Sincerely in Christ,
Most Reverend Michael F. Burbidge
Bishop of Arlington