We hope you enjoy this long weekend off. Please read below for upcoming news and events at Good Shepherd.
Mark your calendar
- November 6, 7, and 9 - NO CLASS
- November 19 - Jesse Tree Event (see details below)
- November 23, 27, 28 and 30 - NO CLASS
- November 27 - First Day of Advent - Wear Purple to Mass!
- December 10 - Journey to the Manger (see details below)
- December 15 through January 7 - NO CLASS
- Classes resume the week of Sunday, January 8, 2017.
- An adult must walk with children in the hallways at drop off and dismissal. If a parent will not be picking up a child, a non-parent pick up form must be on file with the names of alternate adults. Please email or turn into your child's catechist.
- Orange folder - Please check the orange folder each week for announcements and other important information. Please send the orange folder to class with the child each week.
- Christian Chastity Make Up Lesson - December 4, 5 and 7 - If your child missed the original Christian Chastity lesson, and you have not already dropped of an opt-out form, the make up lesson will be taught during class in December. If your child is impacted by this, you will receive an additional email with more info and an optional opt out form.
Vocations Awareness Month
November is Vocations Awareness Month. We will honor our priests and religious by promoting vocations in the classrooms. Your children will learn about the various, rich vocations within the Catholic Church. Children in grades 4th – 6th will have a unique chance to hear from Fr. Tom or Fr. Ramon, for the boys, and a consecrated woman and nun, for the girls, in order to hear first hand the experience of answering God's call to the priesthood or religious life.
We will also be sending home prayer cards to all grades with the name of a priest from our diocese. Please use these cards to talk about vocations with your children and to pray in a special way for the priests in our diocese who need our prayers and support in their very important role. If your child gets a prayer card for a priest from Good Shepherd- Fr. Ramon Baez, Fr. Tom Ferguson or Fr. Luis Quinones- show Stacy or Christina, and they can get a prize!
Pray, Serve, Learn
Serve - Get the Kids Involved
- Children’s Choir - Practices are Wednesdays, November 9, 16 and 30 and December 7, 14 and 21. Each practice is from 5:00-5:45. The children will sing at the 4:00 Christmas Eve Mass. Contact Anne at email@example.com for more details.
- Altar Server Please talk to your 4th – 6th graders about participating as an Altar Server. It is a unique ministry in which children can serve their church, and it will teach them more about the Mass. Training for new servers will be in December. We will email the date once it is scheduled.
Current servers have a refresher training with Fr. Ramon and Mike O’Neil, Sunday, November 20 from 3:30 – 5:00 pm.
Learn - Family Friendly Events
Jesse Tree Event
November 19 6:00 pm
Join us for this family friendly event to help prepare your family for the Advent season and learn the story of the Jesse Tree. You will have the opporutnity to make your own ornaments in order to start a new family tradition for Advent! Dinner is provided.
Please RSVP here by November 15.
Journey to the Manger
December 10 6:00 pm
Sign in with the Roman centurion before you enter the gates of Bethlehem to explore the marketplace. Head to the fields to meet the shepherds and play a few games. Be on the lookout for Mary and Joseph as they arrive in the city after a long journey. Take home crafts that you make in the marketplace. Be sure to stay for a presentation of the nativity story.
Food will be available for purchase in the the Bethlehem Cafe and Bakery. (All proceeds from the Cafe and Bakery will support High School Youth Group Work Camp). Prices are family friendly and gift items (cookies and treats) will also be available.
Please RSVP by December 1. Space is limited and will fill quickly.
Learn - Adult Faith Formation Opportunities
Formed - Good Shepherd has just become FORMED! This is an on-line tool making top quality Catholic content available On Demand, on multiple devices, including many selections in Spanish, such as, movies, audio mp3, ebooks, and Bible studies – all free!
To start using FORMED:
- Go to www.formed.org
- Enter Parish Code - TWR8NG
- Complete your profile to receive ID and Password.
- Log In and begin enjoying the fabulous content!
Please consider joining us at Good Shepherd for our annual Advent Retreat. The retreat will be led by Fr. Ramon Baez, Saturday December 3. You can click here for more information and RSVP.
Bible Timeline Study
Starting Monday, October 24, the Bible Timeline through Salvation History began at 7pm. Please consider joining this class! I promise it will help you so much with your preparations as a Catechist, your comfort with the Bible and understanding our faith. I know the commitment is long (24 weeks), but the videos are accessible on-line if you happen to miss a few sessions. You can still view the videos at home. Sign up here!
Prayer - During the Advent Season
Advent is coming up! Be sure to take your kids to Reconciliation during this time of preparation for the coming of our Savior. We offer Reconciliation Wednesday evenings from 6 - 7 pm and Saturdays, 8 - 8:45 am and 4 - 4:45 pm. We will also have our Advent Reconciliation Service in December. Keep a look out for dates and times.
Use the Advent wreath, Jesse Tree, or an Advent calendar to pray each day during leading up to Christmas. My kids love lighting the candle, opening another door, and hanging our next ornament! Use these moments as a time to read a short Scripture passage or say a prayer. Simple traditions are a great way to incorporate prayer into this very busy time. Take time to slow down this season and spend some time with God.
We wish you a blessed week, and look forward to seeing you next weekend!
Stacy and Christina