Thank you to all of the parents that attended the parent meeting this past weekend. We appreciate you taking the time to learn more about the Faith Formation program.
Just a few reminders:
With the impending arrival of Hurricane Joaquin, please remember that we follow the Fairfax County inclement weather policy, even on weekends: If FCPS cancels classes and/or extracurricular activities, then class is cancelled. In addition, you can check the following resources if you have a question on the status of class:
- Parish website, www.gs-cc.org will post weather cancellations on the Home Page (you can also check the Faith Formation Elementary page);
- Call (703) 780-4055, and hit X331. If classes are cancelled, we will post a message at that extension
- Download the Parish App, enable push notifications, and you will be notified of cancellations via the App.
- Check our twitter pages @gsffk6 or@GoodShepherdCC.
- Children may not be alone in the building. Please escort your child to and pick him/her up from the classroom door. You may not drop your child off in the circle drive nor may a sibling under the age of 18 pick up a child. (If you have a teen sibling that is driving, please contact Stacy or Christina to discuss).
- Non Parent Pick-Up Forms must be on file if someone besides a parent will pick up your child. The forms are available here or in the hallway during class and can be turned into the child’s catechist or to Christina or Stacy.
- If you missed the parent meeting you can check out the website for the slide show and for further information.
- If you are interested in SEEK or any of the Adult Faith Formation programs mentioned at the Parent Meeting, please be sure to check out the website.
- If you did not get a chance to sign up to volunteer, please email email@example.com to let us know if you can help with office projects, serve during class time or help with special events. If you are interested in helping during class time as a hall monitor or substitute you may pick up a packet in the main office.
All Saints Day Project: We are asking each student to complete a project for All Saints Day. The children have the month to work on these with their families. Please turn in all projects turned in by October 25-26 so they may be displayed for All Saints Day.
Upcoming October Events:
October 3- Kid’s Rummage Sale, 9:00-12:00pm
Support the Good Shepherd Mom's group by attending their Rummage Sale this weekend.
October 4- Altar Server Training - 3:30 - 5:00
Calling all boys and girls grades 4th grade and higher. This weekend's training are for new servers and current servers looking to move to second server or lead server. Contact Mike O'Neil for more information.
October 4 - After Mass Donuts
Join our new group Families in Action and serve your Good Shepherd community with donuts after Mass this weekend. Find out more from the group's founder, Pooja Krumenacker, to see how you can get involved in other family friendly service opportunities through Families in Action.
October 4-5- Diocesan Required Christian Chastity Lesson for grades 1 - 6 ONLY:
- Individual plans are below and can also be found on the parent website. (Kindergarten does not do this lesson):
- If you do not want your child to participate, please complete the Opt Out form and submit to Christina or Stacy. Each child must either attend the class or have an Opt Out Form on file. (The form may be submitted via email, or at the next class after the Lesson.)
There is no class due to the Columbus Day holiday.
October 18- Sharing Sunday Collection
Bring canned food goods to the bin in the commons. Donations benefit St. Lucy’s Project.
October 18- Pancake Breakfast after morning Masses
Hosted by the Knights of Columbus.
October 18-19- Collections begin for Service Saturday
We will have bins set up in the classroom hallway for collection of items. See flyer for more information on what items to donate.
October 21- 7:00pm- Parent Meeting for Second Year, First Communion Candidates
If your child is receiving First Reconciliation and First Communion this year, please come to this meeting to learn the dates and details about the special events planned for your child's special year.
October 21- Children’s Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday, 5:00 - 5:45 is the first rehearsal for the children's choir. All children grades 1-6 may participate. Contact Anne firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
October 24- 5:00 Mass hosted by the Fourth Grade
Please join us for this family friendly Mass and to stay for fellowship afterwards. Fourth grade students will serve as ushers, greeters, lectors, etc. The Children's Choir will perform. Fellowship is provided by fourth graders after Mass.
Sign-up for 4th graders will be sent out this weekend.
October 25-26- Saint Project Due
Please turn your child's project into Stacy and Christina (there will be a cart for collection):
October 25-26- Christian Chastity make up lesson
If your child misses Christian Chastity October 4/5, your child may make-up the lesson. A targeted email with details will go out to you if your child missed the first lesson, and we have not received an opt-out form.
October 31- All Saints Day Party 9:00am -12:00pm
We are still in need of volunteers to get this event off the ground. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in helping. The flyer going out this weekend will have more information. You can also check the website for more details.
We appreciate all of the support you offer to your child and to our program. Please contact Christina or Stacy with any questions or concerns.
Stacy and Christina